7.26.2010

Teaching Ollie How to Fly!


Out of nowhere the other day, Ollie asked me to take the training wheels off the bike he got for his 5th birthday. Yes!! I loaded up the kid's bikes, put a big wrench in my purse, and off we went to the park. I've been told by other moms that the trick with teaching kids how to ride with no training wheels is this - start them off on a tiny, sloped hill. That's it! That's the magic! And boy does it work! I spent about two months soothing my daughter through frustrating crashes on the sidewalk in front of our house when she was ready to learn, which showed me that she is determined and a wee bit competitive with herself. Once she got it though, there was no stopping her and now she is a speed demon! As always, Oliver wants to do what she can do so...

Off he goes!

Rachel was so encouraging!
Thanks for the help, but we won't be needing you anymore!
I just love this bike!
So proud!
After doing such a great job a little break was needed, so they climbed up this birch tree. 

A Great Blue Heron was fishing nearby. I wish I'd had the telephoto lens my Dad sent me for my birthday. Maybe next time.

The kids had such a great time that we went back on Saturday with Andy. Ollie is wearing the same green shirt in these pictures, but it was clean - I promise!



Thanks for looking...

No comments: